Leaving the hero plane

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:35:06 -0000

Hi All,

This came up last night. How are people treating the end of a heroquest: Do you have to overcome that 10W3 barrier at the conclusion of the quest (which is very tough without support) or if the quest reaches a normal conclusion do you just return to the Inner World automatically.

I cannot find it now but I seem to remember a post aong the lines of 'What happens to all those people stuck on the hero plane who never manage to return to the Inner World' with the answer being that 'this does not happen at the completion of the quest, you return to the Inner World without needing to run a contest'.

My assumption then being that rolling to exit the quest is only needed if you try to terminate the quest at an abnormal point (i.e.things are going really badly, unexpected enemies turn up, and you want to bail).

If not, how have narrators handled players who fail to break out - are you subsumed by your god (your individuality lost), do you exit but in the wrong place, spent the rest of your days wassailing in Orlanth's hall, etc.

Ian Cooper