Re: Re: Leaving the hero plane

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:59:22 -0600

Wulf Corbett says:

>I find great difficulty in believing HQ are so dangerous when we're
>told our characters regularly (at LEAST annually) are visiting the
>God's World, were Initiated on a form of HQ, and that these are not
>important enough to HAVE to be played out, but can be assumed to have
>happened safely off-camera. Are these regular visits simply made
>easier by familiarity? Can a path back and forth be made easer by
>repetition?

        I suppose it's like this: you drive to and from work most days (regular clan heroquests). The actual driving is likely no less dangerous than driving across few states (or countries for Europeans) for a vacation (standard heroquest). If you are driving on bad roads or off-road (exploratory heroquests), the physical activity of driving gets more dangerous of course. Now, if you have an old, bad, lying, or confused map, you are no more likely to crash into another driver, but you are a lot more likely to get lost, wander into a bad part of town, encounter bears, etc than you are travelling on a familar road. Of course, if the city decides to tear up the road (or there's an accident or a chemical spill), you may have to detour, and you can get lost just getting home from work. It's rare, though, and easier to fix than getting lost while driving far away from home. Plus you can call for help more easily and you get to sleep in your own bed rather than at the Bates Motel.

Peter Larsen