Re: Re: Leaving the hero plane

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:30:33 +0100

Peter Larsen wrote:
> As I see it, children, in Heortling eyes, are part of the wealth of the
> whole clan. Yes, their immediate kin will be most concerned, but if a boy's
> initiation fails, that's five year's worth of young men lost; an immense
> disaster for the clan. I think extraordinary suopport is not unreasonable.

But losing when you have given extraordinary support would make the consequences EVEN WORSE, yet the bonus gained for extraordinary support (rather than the next level of support) is rather modest, IIRC. ...
> I don't think these are weird "specialty myths." The special rituals of
> the clan are going to be part of daily life. Parts of them will be told at
> every hearth, every day.

[snip Glorantha colour]

Great stuff... but this is the RULES list, and my concern is about the rules. I can accept (nay, demand) a Glorantha in which an initiation HQ does not have a sizeable chance of killing all the candidates and destroying the clan. As the rules are written, this is not the case.