Re: Re: Leaving the hero plane

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:20:36 +0100

Jeff wrote:
> > > Special sacrifices previously prepared ?
> >
> > Which have no effect (not mentioned in the NB).
>
> Ah, I see. You don't believe in improvising.

Well Jeff, heroquests are something that the rules specifically talk about, and this is the rules list, so I am asking how to use the rules to run heroquests. A reply that I should throw away the rules is not a good one.

Yes I can improvise. I have done so.

> > > Support of the clan wyter (if it has useful stuff -- I'd let it
> drag
> > > down the barrier somewhat)
> >
> > Isn't that included in the community support?
> > Not mentioned in the NB.
>
> Gee. Wyter are not mentioned. COuld be because they are mentioned in
> TR? And weren't a part of the game until then? I am sure that the
> wyter would be of use both as a FOCUS for the community agument and it
> might have abilities of its own.

Actually, the rules do not mention allowing anyone to support (or hinder) a quest other than by providing community support. The construction of the community support table is such that, if an individual can provide support IN ANY WAY other than by providing community support, they should do so. Considering how many ways the clan could come up with, especially if the Narrator and players are imaginative, this is plain silly. In Gloranthan terms, surely the rules construct we call 'community support' is more than just standing around and watching; doesn't it include things like the Lhankor Mhys giving advice, the Issarians providing eloquence? Implicitly then, the rules do not permit any other kind of support than community support.

The example in the NB includes a Chalana Arroy priestess who certainly has available means for hindering the quest that would be more effective (for example, putting the celebrant to sleep). Implicitly she does not use them (which would be odd) or they are subsumed within her community 'support'.

So, how difficult IS breaking through, in Gloranthan terms, when you do and do not have a clan supporting you? If wyters can help, the publication of TR just made heroquests easier to perform with clan support, since there has not been a simultaneous increasing in the barrier's strength (still at 10W3).