Re: Community Support funkiness

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:57:33 +0100

Michael Schwartz wrote:

> One important factor in determining community support which the rules
> have overlooked, in my opinion, is the hero's relationship scores with
> those communities upon which he or she might call for assistance.
> In order to acquire community support, a hero may be required to succeed > in a contest.

This is what I did in the recent HQ I narrated. The quest was to help some Dundealos refugees, traditional enemies of the clan. I worked out how many people were available. I assumed the refugees themselves would give extraordinary support, whatever the outcome of the contest. The degree of success in the contest determined how many of the clan gave each level of support, using a table I prepared especially for the purpose. From that I could calculate the community support bonus using the table in the rules.

IIRC, the Heroes had a major success in the contest. Some of the clansmen threw in their lot with the refugees, giving extraordinary support in the hope of sharing in the benefits of the HQ. No  clansmen opposed the HQ.

Of course, my table was a one off, suitable only for the particular HQ in question. A consensus on some general rules is useful. I suggest a good set of rules for determining the degree os support from a community meets the following criteria.