Re: Community Support funkiness

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:46:15 -0000

Gian wrote:

> > Michael Schwartz wrote:
> > > Communal: +1 per 50 supporters
> > > Initiate: +1 per 25 supporters
> > > Devotee: +1 per 10 supporters
> > > Disciple: +1 per supporter
> >
> > There are several indications that the ability rating scale is non
> > linear, tending towards a logarithmic function.

My solution would look something like this:

10 Marginal Lay Member supporters: +1

20 Marginal supporters: +2
40 Marginal supporters: +3
80 Marginal supporters: +4

etc.

Then, you multiply the base value for "number of supporters" by the "worth" of the support you're getting, whether this is measured in success terms (Marginal, x1; Minor, x2; Major, x3 [or x4?]; Complete, x4 [or x8?]), or in involvement terms (Initiate, x2; Devotee, x3; Disciple, x4), or whatever.

The problem I find I'm running into is that there are three sets of terms: for levels of success, for levels of support, and for levels of initiation (in theist worship). I think the level of *support* is the ditchable one, personally, as it adds extra complexity to what should be a straightforward mechanic.

Cheers, Nick