Re: Re: Community Support funkiness

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:35:30 +0100

Nick_at_... wrote:
> Under my approach, you'd add the fanatics (worth say four or six
> ordinary supporters each) to the base community, and look up the
> single resulting figure on the table. No separate columns for
> different levels of support or opposition -- that's just + or - to
> the single resulting bonus.

A further simplification is possible, I believe.

Nt = size of community
ff = fraction of fanatics (0.1 in the case when 100 people includes 10 fanatics)
wf = fanaticism factor (4 or 6, in your case Ne = effective community size, for the purposes of support

So your method is:

Ne = Nt * ff * wf + Nt * (1 - ff)

Converting to logarithms, as we agree we eventually do, and rearranging:

ln Ne = (ln Nt) + (ln (ff * wf + 1 - ff))

Now,
(ln Ne) corresponds to the community support bonus we want the whole procedure to produce;
(ln (ff * wf + 1 -ff)) is a constant for any given level of support; (ln Nt) can be found by a simple look-up of the community size in a table.

So all we need is a table that converts community size to a 'base support bonus', and another table that converts 'level of support' to an additional bonus. No need for multiplications at all; having a logarithmic scale does it for us.