Re: A hero creation tweak I have in mind...

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:23:35 -0800

Peter

> Something I've toyed with during character creation is let the player count a
> name as one word for purposes of "the 100 words."

I like this, since you're right about the 100 word limit otherwise stifling names such as Bridge of the Noisy Wave (a recent non-Gloranthan character I made).

Michael

> Most game systems (HERO WARS included) tend to skimp on the number of
> skills made available to characters. Honestly, I wonder if I should allow
> player-heroes 150 words instead of 100, so strong is my feeling on the
> subject. I tend to encourage players to choose less-broadly defined
> abilities, though, so it rarely becomes a problem.

Since most Hero Wars abilities can be used improvisationally (even if they aren't technically broad abilities), it's not a huge problem IMO.

> A Swiss Army knife is mundane, and would not merit mention in a hero's
> narrative.

If it's in the narrative, it's not mundane.

Roland asked about heroquest benefits:

> 1) How does the quester actually get the item?

They could learn a new way of looking at an item they already have.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein