Re: Character creation

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:45:04 -0000

Subcults are not heroes -- they are parts or the god or his children/chief servants (ie very, very commonly worshipped, powerful heroes -- I can't tell the difference)

They provide an affinity and have access to a secret.

Vangath the Flier is a subcult of Orlanth Adventurous. In the case of Mythology, it would be a part of the main god's Mythos though the hero might choose to personalize it as saying Mythology of Vangarth Adventurous being the myths they have learned.

Hero cults are smaller affairs, usually providing some special feats or even a single affinity. They do not (usually) provide a secret to the casual worshipper. They may not even _have_ a deity associated with them, being stand alone. IF the hero-cult is associated with a god (eg, Malan Mann is a herocult of Humakt) then they may not require a separate mythology (unless the hero CHOOSES to specialize in a narrow mythology)

I would quite happily give a herocult the same keyword level as the parent cult -- assuming it doesn't unbalance things. A herocult which is not associated with the main deity would be a 13.

Hope this helps,

Jeff