Proofs and spells

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:48:38 -0400

> Like trying to integrate something,
> when in fact you've got a series, not a formula to work with.
> Just won't work.

In fact you can integrate a series, you just apply the usual procedure to each term.

The formal procedures always seem to work, but it was some time before it was realised that for some series the results aren't valid and will not describe the real world. Modern maths courses teach you why, and how to tell which is which.

The sorcerous equivalent might be that you follow a chain of apparently simple variations on a spell like

> Light Candle,
> Light Torch,
> Light Candelabra,
> yes, master, but what about the Fiery Conflagration of ...
> Shut up, and listen to me, I'll now teach you the dreadful spell of
> Light Cooking Fire...

and suddenly one backfires on you, even though by your best theories it should work fine.

Andrew