RE: embarrassingly basic bump question

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:42:13 +0100

On Sunday, April 22, 2001 12:02 AM, Mike Dawson [SMTP:mdawson_at_...] wrote:

> Imagine a contest (any kind) where Dushi has a Boast 17 and Helatr has Boast
> 17 too. Dushi succeeds with a 2 and Helatr fails with a 18.

So Dushi has won a Minor Victory (success vs. failure)

> Now, this doesn't sit well with Helatr's player, and he spends a Hero point
> bump it to a success.
>
> So now we've got 2 successes, but Helatr still rolled higher than Dushi, and
> by the rules, Dushi still wins.

That's right, but it's now just a Marginal Victory (success vs. a success, but with a higher roll).

> Is that how it's supposed to work?

Yep. In play, we've found that the big difference in this set of circumstances comes in Extended Contests, where spending the HP makes the difference between forfeiting 2x the bid and forfeiting 1x the bid. It can be the difference between going out of the contest and staying active.

I hope this helps out.

Regards,

Bruce