Re: About Anaxials Roster, and the otherworlds

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:27:43 -0500

Mikko Rintasaari asks:

>I'm having some problems with this. Mainly with the abilities that deal
>with such things as strenght, speed and size.
>
>Since most people are Large 6, they end up being Small 6w1, and puny
>6w1?
>
>So normal people are reduced to the size of a shrew?
>
>I think I'll interpret this so that the penalties for being in the wrong
>world effect magic and perception, and not the "physical" attributes.

        I'm with Jeff here, but I'd say "use what works at the moment." Many excellent portrayals of "Other Sides" have wild changes of scale, both physical and temporal. (Rob Holdstock's Mythago Wood comes to mind, as do Scott Baker's Ashlu books (great for envisioning Glorantha, I find). KoS's story of Ingolf Dragonfriend has a similar scene (I don't have KoS with me; I could have that wrong) where he's contesting with what he thinks is a very small dragon until he realizes that he is very large....

        Frankly, I could see times where I'd give denizens of the particular place +20 and the characters -20. I could imagine other places where virtues of other abilities would serve as Strong, Large, etc. Perhaps in the Thunder Brothers' Hall, Large = (Proud or Boastful). Maybe Merciful is used in place of Strong to open the doors to Chalana Arroy's Hospital. Anyway, I'd say do what feels right, and don't worry about trying to explain it too much. The Other Worlds should be sort of odd, especially the bits you don't know too well....

Peter Larsen