Re: Re: About Anaxials Roster, and the otherworlds

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:41:38 -0700

Nick Brooke says:

>Follow the story. Don't sweat the small stuff. I agree that having
>modifiers bite in two directions at once (they get +20 on their home
>plane, and I get -20 for being there) sounds severe -- any Anaxial
>buffs want to comment on this?
>
>Cheers, Nick

        I'm not necessarily an Anaxial's buff, but the modifiers don't necessarily get you both ways. For example, we have a Hedkoranth Devotee who is arm wresting one of of his God's followers in the Thunder Brother's Hall on the STorm Tula. The Devotee is Strong 10W. He gets +5 for being in a Safe part of the Otherworld (Narrator's Book, p.33). His opponent is a middling-strong Umbroli (Strong 20 (+20 for being "home")(AR, p.197). He's a little outclassed, but not enormously. Now, if that devotee goes out into the Fire Tribe's territory, his Close Combat 15W3 is not reduced (NB, p.33), but the Star Soldier he's fighting gets the +20 for a Close Combat of 10W4 (AR, p.192). Some hero points or augmenting will be called for. If the same devotee goes to the Western Otherworld and tries to charm a Luathan Guard, the Devotee will be -20 (NB, p.33, again) to his Charm 10W, and the Luathan's Suspicious will be 18W (AR, p.207). Good luck Devotee! Things will be worse for Initiates, but one might ask them what they are doing wandering around in hostile parts of the Otherworld.

>PS: the Invisible Measure of the Sorcerous World is, of course, the
>reverse. *Everything* there is precisely quantifiable and measurable.
>This is the uncanny place where every family would have *exactly* 2.6
>children, where pop-up boxes appear as your eyes pass over entities
>detailing their elemental make-up, where rangefinders and perspective
>lines appear to suit your convenience, where Adepts can read runic
>Matrix-code scrolling down their perceptions. Confused? You should be!

        Don't like that image much. I prefer the Sorcery World to be more of a huge Hermetic diagram -- every correspondence in its place, everything clearly identifiable if you have the wit and learning. "It's yellow; it must come from the West and Sulpher will attract it...". On the other hand, I suspect there are as many ways to see the Sorecerous Other World as there are schools to teach the seeing, and probably more. There's room for a lot of ways in that strict structure.

Peter Larsen