Re: About Anaxials Roster, and the otherworlds

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 05:41:36 -0000

David Cake wrote:

> Yes, pretty much my view - my conception of the sorcerous
> otherworld is very much based on medieval occult art. Lots
> of strange symbolism, etc. Many things might be labelled with
> their rune etc, but I don't like the Matrix scrolling code
> image. There does seem to be a more numerical emphasis to the
> sorcerous than there is to, say, alchemy, but I don't think
> that manifests as everything numbered, more in everything
> being in carefully maintained relationships and ratios, with
> geometric diagrams at some points etc.

Yes, this is certainly a more "sensible" way of saying what I was trying to get across. If sorcerers *do* have an HUD on the Invisible Measure, it was designed by Leonardo da Vinci, not by Big Blue.

I like the idea of speech creating glowing words that pour from the speakers' lips; I like the visible perspective lines; I agree that quasi-Kabbalist relationship trees etc. are also good fun. I guess my original post was trying to kick-start a perception of ways in which the sorcerous Invisible *Measure* might appear vastly different from the (essentially immeasurable) Spirit World or God Plane. Alchemical not numerical quantities are preferable to some? Certainly! This is all chrome, not gameplay, at this point.

Remember too that *every* accessible node on the Invisible Measure is associated with the geometric pattern for its Portal of Power. I'd be surprised if these aren't visibly manifest wherever you arrive on the other side. (And, perhaps, on an alien otherworld, if you can find the relevant pattern embodied somewhere -- anywhere! -- you can pass within to the Invisible World).

BTW, sorcerers gesturing with glowing symbols of light forming at their fingertips is a cliche, but it's got to be true here, no?

I appreciate that there's zero rules content to this, and will desist.

Cheers, Nick

PS: anyone interested in literate artistic depictions of the Other Side should check out Alan Moore's current comic series, "Promethea" (published by America's Best Comics). We've already had guided tours of the Kabbala, the Tarot, the Planets and more... loads of ideas for visualising otherworlds.