Re: Re: About Anaxials Roster, and the otherworlds

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:22:39 -0500 (CDT)

Nick Brooke says:

> For my part, I was looking at how these things might be perceived,
> and specifically at how the ULTRA-measurable otherworld of the
> Sorcerers would differ in fundamental ways from the NON-measurable
> otherworld of the Theists.

One possibility, of course, is that different sorcerous schools provide radically different perceptions of the otherworlds, especially when performing Heroquesttype  operations. The Malkioni venerators can rely on the otherworld to look after them a little, the way that the myths of the Theists help structure their otherworld, but (it seems to me) sorcerors have to construct their perception of the otherworld from their philosophies and mental rigor. This could lead to interesting tricks when trying to share (or steal) information from another school.

Maybe at stage B of a quest, my school, the Righteous Red Ritechanters of Riverjoin, describes the Exaltation of the Black Crow, whereas the path/ritual I'm using was charted by the Blue Book Bibliographers and, while the operation is the same, they describe stage B as the "Subjection of the Lion." There I am, looking for the Crow to Exalt, and there's this whacking big lion that needs subjecting. Translations and "debugging" of rituals and heroquests among sorcerors may be a much more serious job than it is in the Theist otherworld, where things seem to be a little more forgiving.

Peter Larsen