Re: Re: Starting abilities for animists

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 22:52:24 -0400

At 12:08 AM 05/04/2001 +0000, Jeff wrote:
>--- In hw-rules_at_y..., "Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City)" wrote:
>> people have handled animist character creation. Specifically, how do you
>> handle the magic. How many fetishes, bound spirits, etc, do you give the
>
>Five, like it mentions. I make them named but that's me. And if they
>want to integrate them, they pay for that at a 2-1 rate.

This has been done a few times before on the list, so there are plenty of messages if you can find them.

I would say this depends on the specific tradition and on whether the character is a member of animist society or a shaman (you may also want to add detail based on practices if you have seen the animism rules additions on the GTA pages).

Members _usually_ get five fetishes that are one-use. Maybe you decide that a given animist tradition member in your game gets a different number. It seems odd that shamans also get five one-use fetishes. I have decided that shamans get an average of five fetishes that can be of any non-integrated

frequency (one-use, 1/day, and 3/day) as long as the shaman has no more
3/day than 1/day or 1/day than one-use (this means that the most power
would be 1 3/day, 2 1/day, and 2 one-use). Integrated is still worth two
normal fetishes. Published animist traditions may specify some of these details.

>> characters? Do you make them name them specifically in the 100-word
>> description?
>
>Those would be additional ones that woudl be at 13. You get the 5
>'free' fetishes as a part of the Animist keyword you use.

Agreed.

>Quite a bit of this is might be covered in the FAQ on www.issaries.com
>and there's a bit on Animist characters here in the archived messages.

It's not covered in the FAQ.

Thanks,
Andy