Re: AP/Edge/Augment conversion

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:45:23 -0700

> IF one were to try to use extended contest mechanics in a simple
> contest situation, how would one go about it?

One wouldn't. We provide the different mechanisms for a reason. Extended contests are intended for situations where you can see the ebb and flow of argument/seduction/combat, whereas Simple contests are for one-shot resoulution, either because the action is over in an instant (like dodging a falling boulder), or aren't considered important enough to warrant extended rolling ("okay, you have 15w2 Close combat, the guards are 17 <quick roll> - you slaughter them in heaps on your way to the Prince's throne room, no-one manages to touch you").

> How would AP's reduces into simple augmentations of the TN?
> Just divide by 4?

They don't do anything in a simple contest, ignore them.

> And If I had a Sword with a ^2 edge, would that convert 1:1 (i.e. +2)?

If you absolutely *must* convert, then convert at 2:1 - a +^2 edge would become +1 bonus.

Roderick