Re: AP/Edge/Augment conversion

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 05:59:55 -0000

> IF one were to try to use extended contest mechanics in a simple
> contest situation, how would one go about it?

The rules do establish a conversion rate between AP, edges and augmentations. Gaining a +1 augmentation is resistance 5, so:

> How would AP's reduces into simple augmentations of the TN?
> Just divide by 4?

No: divide by 5. (Lending 5 AP is resistance 5).

> And If I had a Sword with a ^2 edge, would that convert 1:1 (i.e.
> +2)?

No: divide by 2. (Gaining ^2 edge is resistance 5).

That's how I'd do it, anyway: YMMV.

Somebody is probably going to talk about naked men with chainsaws fighting armoured knights with butter-knives at around this point (i.e. the profound simulationist differences between big edges and big handicaps which the narrator will have to resolve creatively in describing a simple contest). I will just mention that this is *not* a frequently-encountered problem in my Glorantha!

Cheers, Nick