Re: defensive ability

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 11:25:50 -0700

> I have looked for detail on how to determin the ability used for
> defensive rolls without success. I guess its would be easy enough to
> default to a combat skill for most copnflict contests, or an "agile"
> ability, but would it be fair to say that one of the uses of feats
> might be to oblige an enemy to defend with an ability they would be
> unlikely to choose freely?

Use the most applicable skill, where "most applicable" means "what you can convince the narrator". If you are getting hit with a Lightning Bolt (frex), you might argue for Dodge ("I leap out of the way"), Tough ("Bring it on, I can take it"), etc, If all else fails, you can "call on the gods" (or spirits/saints/etc) and take a 14 (which is the "natural" resistance to magic). Of course, the narrator is free to say "No, Witty Repartee is not a good skill for resisting Lightning, choose another skill"...

Note that the "natural" resistance for purely mundane attacks is 6, not 14. A weedy character getting hit my a sword who doesn't have Close combat, Agile, Tough, etc, will have a 6 ("no skill") ability rating.

The "most applicable ability" rule does allow for players to claim Relationships, "Spurious Logic", or "Witty Repartee" as a defense against a weapon (otherwise known as "Oscar Wilde vrs the Great Troll"), and this is an intentional feature, not a bug. The narrator is alway free to assign gross improv. penalties (the "Yes, but..." rule).

RR