Re: Re: Disciples: 10W relationship with followers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:22:11 -0700

> >This leads to a second question. I don't have the book to hand but
> >it does mention that the disciple loses all relationships except the
> >relationship with the supporters. I think that this goes too far.
>
> Even Superheroes have best friends...

But Disciples aren't superheroes (in either the four-color comic book meaning or the Gloranthan meaning. Disciples are working on (and have mostly completed) giving up their individuality and attaining Godhead on Earth. Their supporters don't worship the Disciple, they worship the God as manifested by the Disciple. It's a picky point, but important.

> >I agree that all dependant relationships, ally relationships and
> >magical/religious relationships should go, but these should probably
> >be replaced with relationships of type Contact - they still know and
> >probably like/love/whatever the disciple. It is just that he (non-
> >gender specific) cannot be bound by these relationships anymore.
>
> I'm not sure that the disciple needs to have this relationship
> recorded, although the other may have or keep their relationship to
> the hero. (I'm thinking here of the Disciple who has been called by
> the God, leaving his wife and family. His realtionship to them has
> gone, replaced by his Disciple of [god], although they will still have
> relationships to him.

He may still be friends with people he knew "before", but unless they take on mythic roles related to his god (as enemy, retainer, whatever) then the relationship isn't important to the disciple (in other words, he can't roll the dice to call on them; he has no "Relatioinship Abiltiy" with them. The same with enemies, etc.).

This is a *big* change in a person's life, equivalent to St. Francis's conversion. Mother Theresa exists, and is beloved by thousands of people, but few people want to *be* her.

RR