Re: defensive ability

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:55:16 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
<<An extreme example is when the 'attacker' (the active party) decides to try to disengage from combat. In that case, they switch from using their Close Combat to using Run Fast, or some such. I would not allow the 'defender' to prevent the escape using Close Combat unless the 'defender' was blocking the only escape route.>>

I think this depends on what you are trying to achieve. When I used to fence (years ago) opening and closing the distance between you and your opponent (and judging distance) is an offensive/defensive technique (forward/back, ballestra, lunge, fleche, etc). IMO this kind of movement for position is part of Close Combat (and some of what AP changes represent).

Now if they wanted to withdraw from combat I would say a character has two options:

  1. Turn their backs and run
  2. Open the distance to the point that they are out of range - then run

If they try 1 then their opponent gets an ability test to hit them. If they survive then they can run away. If their opponent pursues then we have a contest of their movement ability v.s their opponents movement ability.

If they try 2 then I would change the objective of the contest to withdraw instead of kill the opponent, but still using close combat (me safely opening range, you closing). If they win the contest they have withdrawn and can run away, however if their opponent pursues we have a new contest...

However I would then allow the hero to augment their Close Combat with different ablilities in contest whose objective was to withdraw such as run fast or a movement affinity.

Ian Cooper