Re: defensive ability

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:24:39 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> The whole point of disengaging or fleeing is to increase your
> survival chances because continuing to fight is likely to lead to
> your defeat.

I would have said the reason tends to be fear - because you can be cut down so easily if you turn your back and run. Well trained troops will try to withdraw in good order for this reason.

> Your opponent might be deadly accurate with his sword, but
> if you have already run out of reach (but not yet fully escaped the
> combat), his skill is no good.

But X either withdraws out of range while still defending against Y's attacks/keeping his guard up or X turns and run exposing himself to attack. In both cases Y is still using his close combat to try and kill X. The objective of the contest has changed from 'X and Y fight each other' to 'X tries to disengage from combat' but while X is in reach Y's weapon is a valid means of stopping you. Once you are out of reach the contest is over - pursuit is then a new contest.

> I can see why a 'Strike Quickly' ability (and, by extension, a Close
> Combat ability with a hefty penalty) might be useful to try to hit
> someone trying to disengage or flee.

If someone you are fighting turns to run then cutting them down would nt require a Strike Quickly ( I'd give you a bonus not a minus to your chance to hit them). Sure if X is fast we could X uses his close combat augmented by his Fast Reflexes to escape and the same for Y's attempt to cut him down.

> But bear in mind that the attempt to flee or disengage could take
>several rounds (it's still an extended contest). I don't understand
>how the Narrator could allow it after the first round of disengaging.

Either using Close sombat

X steps back quickly, Y ballestras, X steps back quickly, Y lunges, X steps back, Y steps forward, X steps back, Y fleches and misses, X has withdrawn.

X flees, Y pursues.

or using movement

X turns and runs. The narrator rules that this is a very big bid: if he looses he is likely to be cut down if he escapes Y will probably be unable to react. So hthe narrtor asks X to bid enough to drive Y to defeat...

Ian Cooper