Re: Keywords

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 18:05:16 -0000

Probably you are confused between "key words" and other traits or abilities (the rules seem to use both "traits" and "abilities" in different places to mean the same thing). When you describe your hero you either list ten traits/abilities or write your 100 word description containing numerous traits/abilities.

Typically, amongst those traits/abilities you will have three "key words": one key word for your culture, one for profession, and one for magic. Each of these "key words" in turn gives you some number of traits/abilities or access to certain magics.

For example, using the list method (because it is easier to show quickly), you might end up with traits/abilities like: brave, strong, friend of Harst Three-spit, and owns the north-wind spear. These generally start at a score of 13 (except items, which follow their own ruls) You might also have the keywords: heortling, hunter, and initiate of odayla.

>From the core rules:

- the "heortling" cultural key word gives you abilities like: knowledge of dragon pass geography, heortling customs and heortling myths. The usual starting score for these abilities is 13. - the "hunter" occupational key word gives you abilities like: set traps, stalk, mimic animal sounds, and listen. These normally start at a score of 17.
- the "initiate of odayla" keyword gives some abilities, like: wrestling, find shelter, and mythology of Odayla. In addition it gives you access to three magic affinities: Bear, Hide, and Hunt. The abilities and affinities all normally start at a score of 17.

So, to answer your follow-up question, how can Issaries release more key-words? Simple, they describe more parts of the world of glorantha, including new cultural key-words, variations on professions (a hunter of the animal nomad people needs different skills than does a heortling hunter), and new magic key words for the different gods, spirit traditions, and sorcerous traditions. (oh, and mystics too, I suppose, but I wonder if we'll ever really get around to them?)

I hope this was of some help.

--Bryan