Re: sailing

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:27:07 -0700

> > I know from sailing that the most USEFUL things I could want was quick
> > knots, keeping the hull from leaking (or getting rid of that
>
> Sure, yeah. It might be an interesting exercise to try to model
> naval combat and the like in HW - :)I have had a hankering to set
> some adventure on the high seas for a while. But theres only so much
> colour you can wring out of Sailor Skill, and HW might be a better
> base. Pity theres not enough reason to travel by water in Glorantha
> to really justify that.

There's plenty of reason to travel by water, though perhaps not if you're a landlocked Sartarite. I ran a game set in Second Age Jrustela, where the heroes spent lots of time on the sea.

One rules note: two sailing ships take a long time to close, so people have a long time to prepare. Figure that everyone has time for lots of enhancement magic.

Abilities from the Pirate Captain keyword included: evaluate sailor, leadership, seamanship, close combat, evaluate goods, evaluate ship, intimidate, navigate, read seas.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.