Re: pantheons

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 20:02:36 -0000

Yes, but I prefer to work from the bottom up rather than the top down.

> > I know from sailing that the most USEFUL things I could want was
> quick
> > knots, keeping the hull from leaking (or getting rid of that
>
> Sure, yeah. It might be an interesting exercise to try to model
> naval combat and the like in HW - :)I have had a hankering to set

Its readily done. At least one campaign that folks have posted about is based on boats and navies.

> some adventure on the high seas for a while. But theres only so
much
> colour you can wring out of Sailor Skill, and HW might be a better
> base. Pity theres not enough reason to travel by water in Glorantha
> to really justify that.

Really? I think its fascinating. Have a look at the old 'Strangers in Prax' for a few ideas about going to sea in Glorantha. Or check out some of the links for upcoming products -- I think those were just posted to this list a few days ago.

LOTS of reason to travel by water and messing about in boats -- even if you're 'just' going to run a Traveller style game where folks trade from port to port along the shoreline. A game set in the Eastern Isles could have a very 'Simbad the Sailor' feel to it. Or you could find out what's REALLY going on in Vormain. Or try to investigate Justrela. Or perhaps there's a sunken city that used to have information you desperately require.... Oh, plenty of reasons.

Harrek's extended 'around the whirlpool in 800 days' is an epic (and lucrative) journey.

Many of the places which have secrets which are useful for the hero-wars were previously inacessible... The Waertagi and their huge ships are back. Brithos is coming back. The Firebergs have been sighted again. I'd rather deal with one of those floating horrors at sea BEFORE it plows into my coastline! (good thing rivers don't flow UPHILL) Or enquire of Simon Bray or Mark G about Why Sea Travel Is Necessary. You might get some rather enlightening answers.

Jeff