Re: Re: Just a quick question

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:11:46 +0100

Jarec wrote:
> In game time aquiring
> a magical artifact or obtaining a feat from another Cult would be at
> least a single episode involving several players at the end of which
> a single Hero Point is spent to cement the benefit.

Or you could pay 2 HP for a benefit unrelated to a session.

> To allow this
> sort of loading of 'special' items for a starting character is like
> spending Hero Points without the risk.

Err, yes. This is true for all abilities: character generation is like spending a pile of HPs without risk.

> Unless you were running a high
> level game I would really rather not see this being done as it
> detracts too much from the idea of working for things in game. I
> think you would quickly find that all new players would try to use
> this perceived power up route (even though it isn't) and the group
> dynamic would change.

What is so 'high power' about having a magic item? There is no real difference between having a 'Jump 13' physical ability, a 'Jumping Feat 13' magical ability or a 'Boots of Jumping 13' magic item. The only difference between the three are the special effects, not the real effect when using them.

Hmm, if you want to have a low power game I suggest you start with lower initial ability ratings than the 13/17/1W/5W presented in the rules (which they describe as medium power), rather than changing the character generation and experience rules. For example, 12/12/17/1W might be appropriate for a group of fresh initiates.

Don't forget that applying an augmentation is an unrelated action. A hero attempting to use numerous magic items will be spending time rubbing their magic lamps, fingering amulets and saying magic words rather than directly engaging their opponent. As a typical extended contest lasts only about 7 rounds, choosing an unrelated action for a small augmentation is not usually worthwhile. For example, my Vingan has never used the magic of her sword ('Moon Cutter 13').