Re: Just a quick question

From: Jarec <jarec_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:43:18 -0000

> Why would anyone want one, and why would that be dangerous?
> Having a 'Dragon Slaying Sword 12' ability does NOT give you the
> ability to automatically slay dragons. It gives you an ability
rating
> of 12. Not much use against a 10W4 dragon. Somone wantying to slay
> dragons could as easilly spend their HPs on Close Combat(Sword).

Why do people climb mountains? Because they are there to climb.

Sure it is not as a device unbalance the game. It's more a case of the proliferation of non mundane artifacts or inter cult relations can have an unbalancing effect of the narrative and cultural feel of the environment in which the game is set. Working for these things in game gives the players a sense of achievement even if the items are in effect fairly mundane or of so limited use as to be mostly useless. If they can just buy stuff why would they want to risk their characters to obtain them?

A clan in which everyone has multiple magic items (however mundane in game mechanic terms) or has wild mixes of magic just doesn't fit comfortably with me. Mixing magics between cults is what subcults are there for. One extra feat is believable, five is just rules bending. Maybe in this case the player should look harder at their cult/subcult choices. If they still want to have lots of out of cult feats they should IMHO discuss it with the narrator who can then use it as an ongoing plot device. This benefits everyone, not just the one player.

Yes I know that the rules allow this, but I still feel that it is not in keeping with the feel of the game world or the intention of the rules system. But that being said if you want to allow it that is your choice, personally I would not.

Jarec