Re: Just a quick question

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:59:38 -0000

> Certainly not to players new to HW/Glorantha as it would set a bad
> first impression of what HW is all about. And not to new hero
> characters in a mid level game.

I think thats very subjective. A HW shaman with a bunch of "magic items" is not the same as a D&D character with several results from the treasure tables. In the broader sense, ALL character powers (including "magical items") are indsitinguishable.

> For me a mid level game means you start with a character at
point 'A'
> and have to role play to get him/her to point 'B'. Just starting at
> or buying yourself to point 'B', even if only in one respect, robs
> the opertunity to earn and appreciate the gains and have lots of
fun
> along the way.

Different games will have different A's and different B's. If you were playing the clan chief, say, in an adventure in which you rise from that lowly (!) rank to be Emperor of the White Moon, did starting at Cheiftain level with a certain living standard and x many toys make a real difference? Not really - they were just there for comparison.

Further, check out the tain bo cuilgne (??) - in some of the descriptive bits, you get four opr five details for every character -  "his purple cloak gufted by so and so with white fur trim; at his sword the blade raven-bloater, and on his feet the Golden Shoes". Any/all of these things could be magical in HW terms - in fact, almost should be.