RE: Re: Just a quick question

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:35:31 +0100

On Friday, June 08, 2001 1:00 PM, gamartin_at_... [SMTP:gamartin_at_...] wrote:

> > Certainly not to players new to HW/Glorantha as it would set a bad
> > first impression of what HW is all about. And not to new hero
> > characters in a mid level game.
>
> I think thats very subjective. A HW shaman with a bunch of "magic
> items" is not the same as a D&D character with several results from
> the treasure tables. In the broader sense, ALL character powers
> (including "magical items") are indsitinguishable.

I agree. The thing that distinguishes the "magic item" in HW from, say, your generic +1 Longsword in D&D is that it *is* part fo the character. Indeed, it may have character in itself, like our Skovari's animated puppet. As Gareth points out, there is a great tradition of heroes naming their swords/armour/underwear/whatever. This is modelled perfectly by letting the hero take that item as part of their 100 word narrative.

Also, one of the things I find particularly interesting about using items as abilities in HW, is that it provides a suitably mythic item that grows in power as the hero does, starting at a fairly feeble 13 and ending up who knows where as its legend becomes more well known. (That said, is there an argument for taking a particularly powerful "multi-function" item as a follower?).

Regards,

Bruce