Re: Just a quick question

From: Jarec <jarec_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:22:51 -0000

> I think your vision is quite 'low-power', if that is what works for
> you fine, thought the rules are written for medium power - hence
the
> sample character has a 'magic' item 'Sack of Black Winds 13' and a
> special skill 'Six Cuts Silk secret 13'. In a medium power setting
> the heroes are above normal, and have some unique ablilites. Our
> experience would be that unique abilities are what differentiate
> characters and make them enjoyable to play.

What makes you think I run a 'low-power' game?

I am aware of the example you quote and in my game at least two of the player heroes have magic items. What they don't have is lots of magic items. They would probably like more but are aware that they are things to be worked for and this is partly what motivates them. They all have long term objectives for their characters that will require game play to achieve.

> Consider Elric, early on he has less idea about the sword than at
the
> end, but our character conception of Elric is ruined without
> Strombringer. Sure in a medium power setting Elric is bit tough,
but
> you get the idea...

Yep, but Elric only had the sword and his magic. If he had been equiped with magic items for all occasions he would have been far less interesting as a character.

> The other point is that we have not found that HW has a goodie
factor
> in play, there is very little I want to get this cool power or
item,

I think this is dependant on the personality and perceptions of the people you play with.

>However a character did take an Esrolian broach bought
> in a market (pure aside in an episode) as a named item. How will it
> be useful? Who knows? But by spending a HP to cement it the
character
> gave himself the potential of foreshadowing some darker purpose to
> it. And, yes this is always with narrator agreement to ensure it
does
> not 'get out of hand'.

And it did result from the game not just pulled out of thin air.

>I think Bruce
> posted along time ago that trust between players and narrator was
> vital to a good HW game and I would agree,

Definitely

Jarec