Re: ability question

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:02:59 -0000

Slap him around like a... like a slapped around thing.

> OK, yes, I am aware that he was d*cking with me on purpose, but how
would
> the CWotL respond?

What would Brian Boitano do?

> Re "change reality"
> I played along, allowing that perhaps he could do so, but the
resistance
> roll for reality-changing would be the world-standard for anything
of
> consequence and short duration, increasing severely for changing
anything
> that either had been "real" for a long time, or that he wanted to
stay
> "changed" for a long time.

The broader the ability/affinity, the greater the Improv penalty! And the resistance is pretty high to changing things. Look at how tough it is to walk through walls or fly someone else!

I'd say its some sort of illusionary affinity but he's going to be paying murderous improv penalties.

> I didn't really have a problem with that (in a sense, it's kind of a
cool
> concept), but I do have a problem with the scope of such a thing. I
mean,
> it could be used for ANYTHING. Would you just say "you can't and
that's
> that"?

Improv penalty and try to figute out what the _mechanism_ is for changing things. If he tries to Change Realtiy so that he's on the top of Kero Fin rather than the top, that's pretty tough (10w3). To try to get RID of Kero Fin, well....

...I think he's going to Refute himself.

> re "stop time"
> OK, again assuming one would accept this, what would be the result
in GAME
> terms? You're having a fight with Old Perk the Troll, and you
succcefully
> stop time. What happens game-mechanically? Do you get an augment
like

I didn't think you could Stop Time in Glorantha. It just doesn't feel right. I'd give it a BRUTAL difficulty -- but he could always use it to augment things. He does manage to speed himself up/slow down his surroundings to give himself more time to react/prepare?

> anything else? That seems pretty wimpy result for otherwise mondo
cool
> ability.

Um, a cool ability like that requires a heroic level of trait to use properly, I think.

> Just posing the questions to the list. We went on with character
creation
> and he dropped the ideas (mainly due to peer pressure from the other
> players, not DM fiat) but it got me thinking.

Heh. I just can imagine what my players would say. =)

Neat thought experiment, Steve.

Jeff