Re: Stop Time

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:50:41 -0000

Graham Robinson:
> Why? Okay in the normal time frame (1620s) its a bit unlikely that
> anyone has this,

Very unlikely ;)

>in a historical game

Accepted - if you are running a second age game it may be an acceptable ability. My point was that in the Gloranthan Third Age we are explicitly told that the everyone who knows the God Learner's secret is dead. Perhaps some revelation will reveal that some still exist, but that revelation means nothing if any player can just write 'Godlearner' secret' on their character sheet. The big mysteries are there to be just that, they lose some power if you don't enforce them.

>We may not know what the secret IS, but we know enough to use it
> in a game

Not my point. Its easy enough to represent both this and Stop Time in HW terms as a abilites, but sometimes you just have to say no.

Ironically this is the Godlearner weakness. Knowing how to do something does not mean you should.

My position is this: Try to say 'Yes' but there are a small number of things that are off-limits (caveat - For a Third age game): Controlling Time, the Godlearners secret, the secret of the Pharaoh are some of the big ones. I would be tempted tend to include dragonewts (no PC dragonewts) and the bulk of EWF knowledge too. These things are for the plot to work with, not player heroes. There are enough choices without them.

Ian Cooper