Re: Just a quick question

From: Jarec <jarec_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:48:58 -0000

> Well, in Hero Wars the motivation isn't to get a magic item. It is
to help
> your kin, strengthen your clan, complete the ritual or defeat your
enemies.

Of course, but if your players choose to fixate on mundane items then there is little you can do about it. It you keep reminding them that they are not playing the game properly you soon end up with less players.

> You have to make them want _that_ sword for some greater purpose.

In which case they should be prepared to work for it, not just buy it from the the Gloranthan equivalent of Amazon.com (Yes I know it is Issaries.com).

Things that are that important to the plot should never be able to be bought. The problem arrises when you let player A buy something one week and then tell player B that they can't and must quest for it the next week. Sure player B's item may be 'better' but you can't necesarily tell them that up front.

Interestingly I was discussing this purchase of magic items issue last night with my players and they all agreed that it shouldn't be allowed and that they should be found in game and then cemented.

Jarec