Re: Re: Stop Time

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:45:44 -0500

Benedict Adamson says

to me:
>> one of their skills is wrong or
>> misunderstood or much lower value than they think ("I thought you said you
>> knew Prax like the back of your hand." "Is it my fault that things have
>> changed since I was here 15 years ago?" or "You know when you picked
>> "Popular with the Humakti" during character creation? You just think they
>> like you...."). Other options: the "magic item" is just a good luck charm;
>> the follower is a spy; the patron is using you for her own nefarious ends,
>> etc.
>
>I'd argue against this. It makes the game too much like a fight
>between the referee and the players: too much like Traveller, not
>enough like HW. If players want to make their characters
>'interesting' in this respect, they can deliberately design them that
>way. But if they want to have a character who knows Prax well, or is
>popular with Humakti, or whatever, why not let them?

        Well, it could be fun if

  1. The players and GM don't go for adversarial relations
  2. The GM doesn't hamstring the game or the character with it

After all, it's one ability and essentially "free." There's some room for MGF, if used sensitively. On the other hand, it could irk many players. I'm not sure I'd use it myself; maybe I'd give the players the option.

Peter Larsen