I could use some advice...

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:57 -0400

un-lurking

Hi all!

Having finally overcome my "Runquest grognard 5w3" and switched my game to HW, I'd like to ask for some advice and guidance.

  1. When dealing with ranged combat, what abilities are most appropriate for the opponent (assuming they are not returning some ranged attack)? My current thought is that some sort of specific "Dodge Missiles" type ability or feat would be used at full skill, while a "Hide in Cover" or a simple "Dodge" or "Agile" would be used with an improvisational modifier. If a Close Combat ability were being used it seems I should impose a more hefty improvisational penalty, while "Brew Mead" is right out. Does this seem right?
  2. Another ranged combat problem I'm having is dealing with a character closing in on someone using a missile weapon. My difficulty is trying to figure out at what point in the ebb and flow of AP the closing character is on top of the archer (or whatever.) It seems to me it should be well before the archer is at zero, but still the archer should get some benefit for range. Any thoughts?
  3. Final actions- I had a player in Saturday night's game try something appropriately flashy. She jumped out of a tree onto a bad guy who was scoring big against another player. She blew the roll and wound up at 0 AP. In the next round she was left alone and she succeeded at her "Endurance" ability roll and got a final action. Since no one was lending her any AP the only thing I could think of for her to try was a desperation stake attack to try to get up to positive AP. Is there anything else she could have done? Healing wouldn't seem to work because she wasn't really "hurt" and that doesn't generate AP anyway.
  4. I have a character with metal-working skills. I understand how to use extended contest for her to forge a sword and to enchant that sword. I also see how she could give that sword some sort of target number in one of her abilities. What I don't see is how she could go about giving the sword a permanent "edge."
  5. Any advice on how to use the new "Decapitate Foe" feat in a game without hit locations? My real problem is figuring out a way to do this that wouldn't make the feat much more powerful than Humakt's Death Secret. My best idea so far is to make its use into a simple contest of affinity vs. resistance, but only have it work on a major or complete victory.

I love the possibilities of this game, please help!

Gerald Bosch