Re: Affinities Question

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:06:40 -0000

No. Initiates can have stand-alone feats. They they can NEVER buy the feats associated with an affinity. They can IMPROVISE feats at -3 but never cement them. Otherwise they'd be devotees.

A search of the archives on this list has had this topic come up several times. Much debate and discussion and useful information.

> > I just don't think its uncontrolled, sorry.
> > Calling for a feat is asking for a specific bit of help, hence the
> > improv penalty.
>
> Certainly not uncontrolled from Humakts point of view. I think he
> would try to perform whatever action most closely matched the
> initiates request that was in his power. However, the initiate not
> really knowing what Humakt can and can't do would not have much
> control over what they got.

I don't think everyone in the area having a -2 ap is exactly helpful. I'd try to avoid the 'accidentally fireballing the party' syndrome.

> For instance an initiate trying to jump may not realise why they
> always jump towards the west ('Sunset Leap'). Once they learn the
> feat then they would know why and could try to gain more control
over
> their new found link to their god.

Yes. Greg's article does talk a fair bit on how to use feats immaginatively.

> To credit the untrained initiate with control surely implies that
> they have a deeper understanding of their gods actions than they in
> fact do. A good example is sunday school children. They start just

What do you base this on? They ask for a blessing or try to manifest a feat. Its not like they are incompetent or idiots.

> Sorry if than example offended anyone, wasn't meant to.

For examples, sticking within the HW/Glorantha framework would be better, I'd be thinking.

Jeff