Re: I could use some advice...

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:15:49 -0000

> Hi all!

Welcome!

> a) When dealing with ranged combat, what abilities are most
appropriate for
> the opponent (assuming they are not returning some ranged attack)?
My
> current thought is that some sort of specific "Dodge Missiles" type
ability
> or feat would be used at full skill, while a "Hide in Cover" or a
simple
> "Dodge" or "Agile" would be used with an improvisational modifier.
If a

This is how I'd handle it. Dodge missile NOT being a combat technique, of course (otherwise it becomes too easy to do and seems sort of silly/easily learned).

> Close Combat ability were being used it seems I should impose a more
hefty
> improvisational penalty, while "Brew Mead" is right out. Does this
seem
> right?

Seems reasonable. There's been some astonishingly long discussions of Ranged combat vs "I don't even have a rock!" Its a heavy slog but the archives are useful at times.

> b) Another ranged combat problem I'm having is dealing with a
character
> closing in on someone using a missile weapon. My difficulty is
trying to
> figure out at what point in the ebb and flow of AP the closing
character is
> on top of the archer (or whatever.) It seems to me it should be
well before
> the archer is at zero, but still the archer should get some benefit
for
> range. Any thoughts?

I just let the person closing close over how many rounds it takes -- 50 m per round if you like (it works for me)charging a bunch of archers is dangerous but is often the only way to deal with them. Or something like that. If the hero is hit/hurt while closing, he's not going to make the distance he thought and will spend more time closing (another round as he picks himself up). Maybe pitting running vs ranged combat might work.

> c) Final actions- I had a player in Saturday night's game try
something
> appropriately flashy. She jumped out of a tree onto a bad guy who
was

Cool! She's got the mindset. =)

> scoring big against another player. She blew the roll and wound up
at 0 AP.
> In the next round she was left alone and she succeeded at her
"Endurance"
> ability roll and got a final action. Since no one was lending her
any AP the
> only thing I could think of for her to try was a desperation stake
attack to
> try to get up to positive AP. Is there anything else she could have
done?
> Healing wouldn't seem to work because she wasn't really "hurt" and
that
> doesn't generate AP anyway.

Sure! Desperation stake is the essence of heroism. Especially in that situation. (If we were playing 7th Sea, I'd give a drama dice or two right there)

Sure, I'd let healing help to lend AP. And if you finish below 0, you're not killed. You'r dazed or confused and recover faily rapidly. Remember in RQ, the huge flury of Healing 2 that happens after every battle? That's assumed to be a matter of course.

> d) I have a character with metal-working skills. I understand how
to use
> extended contest for her to forge a sword and to enchant that sword.
I also
> see how she could give that sword some sort of target number in one
of her
> abilities. What I don't see is how she could go about giving the
sword a
> permanent "edge."

Enchant Weapon To Cut Sharper feat could be learned somewhere along the line -- in Storm Tribe there's a writeup on Gustbran that might be useful to you.

> e) Any advice on how to use the new "Decapitate Foe" feat in a game
without
> hit locations? My real problem is figuring out a way to do this
that

Makes for a really EASY final strike. Its a cool augment and funky ability. If you beat your foe, well, you _know_ how he died. (snick!)

> wouldn't make the feat much more powerful than Humakt's Death
Secret. My
> best idea so far is to make its use into a simple contest of
affinity vs.
> resistance, but only have it work on a major or complete victory.

Yep. Or just use it as a part of a combat. We use it for flavor and style -- and chopping up undead when they finally hit 0 AP withotu any messing about.

> I love the possibilities of this game, please help!
>
> Gerald Bosch

Hope this helps!

Jeff