Re: I could use some advice...

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:33:52 -0000

> Gerald Bosch wrote:
> Another ranged combat problem I'm having is dealing with a character
closing in on someone using a missile weapon.<...

Benedict Adamson wrote
> I've had to think about this for our next session.
> I'm considering giving the distance a rating, and using that rating
> as an AP augment for the defending archer. The closing character
> engages the archer when the archer has lost APs equal to the
> augmentation from the distance.

or maybe two contests - one Close with Archer, the next Close Combat with archer. You could make one or the other simple to keep the narrative flow going though if its Close with Archer this tends to make charging archers fairly deadly. I would be tempted to allow improvising 'Advance Under Fire' from Close Combat for characters with a shield. In TR warriors have the Dodge Attack ability. A stack of Hero Points also looks useful for charging archers.

This topic has caused huge debate in the past... I've just tended to avoid episodes with people advancing on archers to avoid huge casualties.

Ian Cooper