Re: Re: I could use some advice...

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:24:09 -0400

Jeff wrote:

> This is how I'd handle it. Dodge missile NOT being a combat technique,
> of course (otherwise it becomes too easy to do and seems sort of
> silly/easily learned).

I agree. I have been thinking about a specific Quest Challenge to allow one of my characters to do this. It would have to be challenging, but having the ability to do that Hercules/Xena/Hong Kong Chop-Socky catch-the-arrow thing would strike my players as way cool. In fact, it was doing this sort of thing that sold my players on the switch to HW to begin with. One of them read in an Icelandic saga about someone sliding down a snowy hill on a shield and cutting some warriors' heads off. She wants to do that real bad...

> Seems reasonable. There's been some astonishingly long discussions of
> Ranged combat vs "I don't even have a rock!" Its a heavy slog but the
> archives are useful at times.

I'll check there. Thanks.

> I just let the person closing close over how many rounds it takes --
> 50 m per round if you like (it works for me)charging a bunch of
> archers is dangerous but is often the only way to deal with them. Or
> something like that. If the hero is hit/hurt while closing, he's not
> going to make the distance he thought and will spend more time
> closing (another round as he picks himself up). Maybe pitting running
> vs ranged combat might work.

This is what I was considering (my usual problem is the opposite- the heros using bows against a superior force advancing on their position. My tree-leaper is really into using her bow- that is why she was in the tree to begin with.)

> Cool! She's got the mindset. =)

You have no idea. She would probably do this in real life if presented with the situation :)

> Sure! Desperation stake is the essence of heroism. Especially in that
> situation. (If we were playing 7th Sea, I'd give a drama dice or two
> right there)

The desperation stake is my favorite rule in HW. I used the big climactic fight in The Patriot (Gibson, not Seagal) to demonstrate the idea to my players.

> Sure, I'd let healing help to lend AP. And if you finish below 0,
> you're not killed. You'r dazed or confused and recover faily rapidly.
> Remember in RQ, the huge flury of Healing 2 that happens after every
> battle? That's assumed to be a matter of course.

I hadn't thought of this... do you mean using a desperation stake to heal? I like that idea.

> Enchant Weapon To Cut Sharper feat could be learned somewhere along
> the line -- in Storm Tribe there's a writeup on Gustbran that might be
> useful to you.

Thanks.

> Makes for a really EASY final strike. Its a cool augment and funky
> ability. If you beat your foe, well, you _know_ how he died. (snick!)

> Yep. Or just use it as a part of a combat. We use it for flavor and
> style -- and chopping up undead when they finally hit 0 AP withotu any
> messing about.

I see. Cool!

> Hope this helps!
>
> Jeff