Dragonslaying sword, take II (longish)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:56:32 +0300 (EET DST)

Since I like to avoid rolling for augments every now and then, I would't make the sword in the format

  [Dragonslaying sword "Scalecleaver" 10w2]

And have the player roll for augments everytime.

Let's see how I'd make it...

Scalecleaver (10w2), An exquisite enchanted iron bastardword

(Bastardsword ^4, quality +^1, enchanted iron +2 = ^7)

So against non draconic opponents Scalecleaver would just be your average superior enchanted iron bastardsword ^7 =D

Against dragons it's 10w2 dragonslaying magic would manifest by adding more weaponrank.

As the enchantment is so narrowly targeted, it should be more effiscient than general swordhelp. So instead of giving it the might/10 edge, I'll give it might/5

With 10w2 power this gives an augment of +10 or and edge of ^20

So against dragonic creatures the weapon would be ^27

One could make it a bit more intersting by dividing it so that the enchantment gives +5 fighting ability against dragons _and_ an edge of +^10 against them too.

So the weapon finds weak spots on the dragon, and carves them up something fierce too.

Let's also say that the weapon always goes for wounds.

I'd also give it A feat or two (or maybe spells as it's propably a relic of the EWF) at it's rating of 10w2

Shield from dragonfire 10w2
(creates an invisible barrier, like a shield to block incoming fire.

Ground Draconic flyer 10w2
(hard to hit them if they keep flying)

So there we have it:

  Scalecleaver (10w2)
  Exquisite EWF era bastardsword of reddish enchanted iron.

  ^7 against nondraconic foes

  ^17, +5 ability against draconic foes. Must trade 7 AP for a wound if   possible.

  Shield from Dragonfire 10w2
  (half strenght agains nondraconic fire)

  Ground Draconic Flyer 10w2

As Scalecleaver already exists and is readily enchanted, I wouldn't allow a PC Hero to put heropoints into it to "buff it up"

The sword exists as she is found. If the hero outgrows the weapon, then it's propably time to look for a new one, and give Scalecleaver as an impressive gift to a tribal king one wants to impress.

        -Adept