Re: I could use some advice...

From: Christian Wanamaker <enlil5_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:37:58

>From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
> > From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
> >b) Another ranged combat problem I'm having is dealing with a character
> >closing in on someone using a missile weapon. My difficulty is trying to
> >figure out at what point in the ebb and flow of AP the closing character
>is
> >on top of the archer (or whatever.) It seems to me it should be well
>before
> >the archer is at zero, but still the archer should get some benefit for
> >range. Any thoughts?
>
>There is a _very_ long backlog of discussion on this. One option is to give
>the archer a big edge.
>
>My recent thoughts on this are maybe to encourage/force closing characters
>to bid high. A bid of 5 is probably just lurking behind cover and closing
>ground where possible.

I liked the suggestion to rule that the person advancing reaches the archer when the archer has lost some amount of AP. Perhaps this number would be a fraction of his skill? Something like long range = 1/2 of Ranged Skill, Short = 1/4 of Ranged skill?
> >c) Final actions- I had a player in Saturday night's game try something
> >appropriately flashy. She jumped out of a tree onto a bad guy who was
> >scoring big against another player. She blew the roll and wound up at 0
>AP.
> >In the next round she was left alone and she succeeded at her "Endurance"
> >ability roll and got a final action. Since no one was lending her any AP
>the
> >only thing I could think of for her to try was a desperation stake attack
> >try to get up to positive AP. Is there anything else she could have
>done?
> >Healing wouldn't seem to work because she wasn't really "hurt" and that
> >doesn't generate AP anyway.
>
>That's what I'd do. You might consider an AP loan to herself as healing
>(but that's dodgy), or maybe loans from followers with healing or other
>appropriate abilities.

Without breaking the rules, an AP loan to yourself that you get a Major (?) success on would add to your APs (recipient gains APs, donor keeps APs). That seems reasonable for healing magic.

> >d) I have a character with metal-working skills. I understand how to
>use
> >extended contest for her to forge a sword and to enchant that sword. I
>also
> >see how she could give that sword some sort of target number in one of
>her
> >abilities. What I don't see is how she could go about giving the sword a
> >permanent "edge."
>
>I haven't tried that. Why not use the target number in her ability to
>generate an edge as per the enhancement rules (and maybe increase
>resistance)? She then needs to spend HP to cement it.

I think the enchantment rules may already cover that (not sure, the book is not in front of me). With an Enchant Weapon skill related to giving an edge, you would add the resistance of the material to the enhancement bonus.   Then just drive that to a complete defeat, and you have a sword with a permenant enhancement bonus (I think). Then I guess you would have to spend an HP to cement it.

> >e) Any advice on how to use the new "Decapitate Foe" feat in a game
>without
> >hit locations? My real problem is figuring out a way to do this that
> >wouldn't make the feat much more powerful than Humakt's Death Secret. My
> >best idea so far is to make its use into a simple contest of affinity vs.
> >resistance, but only have it work on a major or complete victory.
>
>As a regular augment to provide a really sharp blade +^X or better aim. To
>slay a dazed etc. foe (as a kind of souped up coup-de-grace) via simple
>contest. I'd try to avoid using it directly as a simple contest as it seems
>too powerful.
>
>The god could decapitate foes - lesser folks just get help towards doing
>it.

Maybe, in the case of a coup-de-grace, close combat wouldn't be a very appropriate skill against that attack? The character being attacked would be dazed and all, so maybe only luck or magic could help them. I'm not quite sure that really make sense though.

Christian