Re: Re: Broad Skills

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:55:21 +0100 (BST)

> How exactly are these intended to work? Like an Affinity, where you have a
> score, and buy feats for it? Or just an ability you can apply broadly, but
> cost 3 to advance rather than 1? Or can you buy up individual applications
> of the skill, like Close Combat 3w2, Broadsword +3, Spear +8 (giving a skill
> of 6w2 for Broadsword combat and 11w2 for Spear combat)?

All of the above, as far as I can tell. (I'm sure others can tell you more -- I'm going on a few minutes of Greg mentioning this, as an off-handed digression from something else.) He specifically mentioned that you'd be able to do something like the last _with Feats/Affinities_, e.g. you'd have Destroy Dara Happan Foes 3W2, Pierce Trolls +20, if that was your bag, paying only one HP (base) per point, and the usual 3HP to raise the whole affinity.

Personally I like this a lot. I'll likely also be using it for close combat, whether RR prevails on this or not, though with rather more broadly defined "sub-skills". (e.g. styles, rather than specific weapons.)