Broad Affinities

From: Edward G McDonald <EGM_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:49:24 +0100

Re Broad Affinities discussion from Alex and Mikko:

>From what I understood, this is definitely not fully done and dusted and
that Roderick and Greg were still working on it.

The rationale was that Greg did not like the fact that you could buy a broad skill (hunting was the one I think he used) and use it for all kinds of different things without penalty. Hunting, for example, allows you to track, hide, sneak, set traps, etc. He suggested that you buy this (hunting) as a "Broad Skill" costing 3HP and that this allowed you access to "improvised" (my word not his) skills (such as track, etc.) with a negative modifier as set by the narrator. You could still buy the specific skills as a 1HP skill instead.

With regards to close combat, I seem to remember that Roderick interupted Greg and disagreed with him on exactly how this will work and that this still needs to be finalised.

As I said in response to something else on the Hero Wars list, I can't guarantee that this is exactly what was said; beer and lack of sleep (too much to do!) seem to negatively affect my memory!!

Edward