Re: Re: Broad categories, Hunting

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:14:34 -0700

At 07:07 AM 6/14/2001 -0000, you wrote:
>I didn't like this idea when I first heard it, and I still don't like
>it. There's occupational keywords for Hunters, and if you want to be
>a good hunter you need to be buying up all of the abilities they
>contain (Heortling: Archery, Butcher, Hide in Cover, Set Traps,
>Stalk, Know Animals, Listen, Mimic Animal Sounds, Track, Patient).

You can not incrase a Key Word with Hero Points. I think you are mistaking Hunter, a Key Word that has many skills, with Hunting, a skill.

>(Alternative: if you allow character keywords as single write-in
>abilities, what do you do when a player wants "Warrior" as an
>ability: not the expensive keyword, just a one-word cheapo skill?)
Warrior is not a skill, it is a key word.

>That proposed revision sounded slightly weird: instead of Heortlings
>writing "Close Combat (fyrd combat)" on their character sheets,
>they'll have to write "Heortling Close Combat (fyrd combat)". Isn't
>the "Heortling" bit already contained in their cultural keyword?
Petty arguments. I was using the point to show that Heortling combat skills are different from Pentan ones, for instance.

>Aren't we already capable of assuming that this doesn't give you a
>high default in "poncing around with rapiers", "sumo", and other
>unrelated techniques?

Judging from other discussions on the list it seems that many people DO think that Close Combat as a single (not broad) skill DOES include karate, rapier with swordbreaker, broadsword and shiled and sharpshooting.

MOST IMPORTANTLY though, the broad category is applicable to things like Strong or Smart, which have multiple applications as a modifier.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>