Re: broad abilities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:43:56 -0700

Wulf

>Where is this limitation on advancement stated? I can see that raising
>an Affinity by +1 costs 3/6 HP, but nothing preventing improving by +2
>for 6/12 points.

It's an emergent property of the rules.

In practice, players want to get the most advancement for their points. You get the largest increase by spending your HP on multiple abilities. You're probably better off not spending the extra HP for a double advancement, and instead using them to bump the roll.

I also think that in practice, there aren't a whole lot of overly broad abilities. It's true that Strong can be used to augment a variety of things, but then a narrower ability like Strong Right Arm can augment almost as many.

Guy

>I've always found this kind of information very useful when learning a game
>system. Does Robin explain any more of his design philosophy for HW
>anywhere online? Or anywhere else?

This particular one was in the rules (though I think it got distorted by an editing problem).

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein