Re: Re: broad abilities

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:28:59 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> This result makes sense, however. Close Combat is clearly useful, and
> players will want it to go up frequently. If it's really expensive,
> they will have to devote all their Hero Points to it. If it's less
> expensive, they will have a few Hero Points left over to "waste" on
> more fun stuff.

That just doesn't stand up. I'll cite a well-known rules luminary by the name of D. Dunham that people do not increase an ability by more than one step per session. Hence one would be going some to spend _all_ one's point on CC, if one is getting anything like the "average" amount.

Secondly, the marginal effect will surely be for people to buy up narrower combat-applicable abilities instead, not to doggedly persist in buying CC regardless.

> When Gunnar (in Njal's Saga) obtains a halberd,
> suddenly he's an expert halberd warrior.

The word "improvisation" (and the traditional smallness of modifiers for same) springs to mind.