Re: Re: broad abilities

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:55:15 +0100 (BST)

Wulf Corbett on increasing affinities by 2:
> Why? 6/12 is double the cost for double the addition. It is stated +1
> costs 3 or 6 points - it doesn't say EACH +1 is 3 or 6 points, but it
> doesn't say anything otherwise. I see nothing to prevent improving an
> Affinity by +2, and paying the listed cost twice. The only inferred
> limitation is that there is no statement of cost for +2 etc., but
> there is for 'simple' Abilities.

Yes, and the cost for a +2 here is 3HP, _not_ 2HP.

> You can read that as meaning you can
> only increase an Affinity by +1, but equally it can be read as a cost
> PER +1, with no stated limitation.

Fairly clearly not the intent, by comparison with the rest of the table. Increasing a "normal" ability progresses as per the triangular numbers, so the obvious extrapolation is to use the same progression (tripled) here, if one wishes to read the table as "accidentally omitting" this possibility, rather than precluding it.