Re: Re: broad abilities

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:11:57 +0100

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:55:15 +0100 (BST), Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...> wrote:

>> You can read that as meaning you can
>> only increase an Affinity by +1, but equally it can be read as a cost
>> PER +1, with no stated limitation.
>
>Fairly clearly not the intent, by comparison with the rest of the
>table. Increasing a "normal" ability progresses as per the triangular
>numbers, so the obvious extrapolation is to use the same progression
>(tripled) here, if one wishes to read the table as "accidentally
>omitting" this possibility, rather than precluding it.

What makes this 'obvious'? The cost to buy one, two or more levels of a normal Ability is stated. The cost to buy a single point of Affinities (& Grimoires, etc) is stated. The only clear message is that buying 2 or more levels of an Affinity does NOT progress in cost as do normal Abilities. Either it isn't possible, or it costs the same per point. "Accidental omission" is not a possibility I would consider, personally, I see no reason for that assumption. I CAN believe it's not possible, but this is not stated anywhere. If it IS possible to buy more than a point at a time, the table says each +1 costs 3/6 points.

This would be easily settled if Roderick would care to comment.

Wulf