Re: Broad Affinities

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:21:15 -0000

> As HW stands, whether or not you understand "Close Combat (fyrd
combat)"
> to mean the same thing as "Heortling Close Combat (fyrd combat)",
the
> clear implication is that given the former, you _can_, given half a
> chance, end up with Close Combat (fyrd combat, rapier-poncery, sumo,
> karate, for about three further HPs (ever). Yes, obviously, any
> GM with half a heid oan hersel' will thwap a player trying to do
> this upside the figurative head, but that argument is rather the
last
> resort of, if not a scoundrel, an apologist for not troubling to
> change some fairly ropey rules.

No it isn't. The rules cannot control player behaviour, if for no other reason that the players CHOOSE to obey the rules. Even if you wrote a rule as you describe, GM's are encouraged to ignore rules they feel are innapropriate, so there is no guarantee it will ever be used. And lastly, this is only an issue to someone who is unswilling to buy into the spirit of the game, which is not a problem that the rules are capable of solving. The problem you are describing above is a bit like the list oproblem in the 100 words; either you acced to this rule willingly, or you don't. There are no Game Police (AFAIK, anyway).

Lets say I had a character who was orlanthi captured by lunars, escaped to Loskalm, and returned home. In this adventure he learned to fight as an orlanthi, as a gladiator (frex) and as a Loskalmi knight.

Does he have more than one CC ability? No. Why should he? Can he have multiple nationalities in his CC? Of course. He has learned multiple fighting styles. When he is wearing a kilt and a spear, he knows the techniques for those tools. When is on a giant warhouse, with a sword and heavy armour, he is familiar with those tools, too. And when clad as a gladiator, with armour and sword of different weight, he knows how to fight with those, too. I see no reason why this could not all be represented by one ability.