Re: Re: broad abilities

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:18:09 -0700

> What makes this 'obvious'? The cost to buy one, two or more levels of
> a normal Ability is stated. The cost to buy a single point of
> Affinities (& Grimoires, etc) is stated. The only clear message is
> that buying 2 or more levels of an Affinity does NOT progress in cost
> as do normal Abilities. Either it isn't possible, or it costs the same
> per point. "Accidental omission" is not a possibility I would
> consider, personally, I see no reason for that assumption. I CAN
> believe it's not possible, but this is not stated anywhere. If it IS
> possible to buy more than a point at a time, the table says each +1
> costs 3/6 points.
>
> This would be easily settled if Roderick would care to comment.

Okay, if you want to invoke me...

The intent of the rules is/was that you cannot improve an affinity/tradition/grimoire by more than +1 a session.

*HOWEVER*. If you, as a narrator/player, want to put more HP into it and get a +2 or +3, then feel free to modify the rule. I would suggest that all costs for an affinity/tradition are tripled, so the second point is +9/+18, the third point is 18/36, etc. But there are plenty of other 'pyramid-like' schemes that you can employ here.

Remember, once you buy the game, Issaries won't be sending storm troopers or rules police to bust down your door. If you want to make affinities cost only 1 point to raise, go ahead. If you want to eliminate AP and only run simple contests, feel free. If you throw the book in the back of the closet and play GURPS Glorantha or Vampire: the Gloranthan Gatering, that's your prerogative. However, Issaries will continue to write books assuming that the rules are the way they are stated in the books, so the farther you stray from what the books say, the more work you'll have to reconcile the new scenario/culture/rules to your game, and Issaries can't be responsible for not anticipating your version of the rules.

RR